Thursday, September 4, 2014

Summer Time Madness

Wow. Summer has been pretty magical and sadly we will probably never experience one like this one again (Yeah for last year of school! Boo for next summer to study all day and night for the bar). In addition to the fact that we met and walked home together every day and then had all evening to be together, we had some pretty amazing adventures. We filled our days with so many activities that there was no time to blog (sorry Mama Lee!). And so the most logical thing to do right now is to briefly summarize a few things from summer because summer in the city is just too great and I never want to forget it. Have I mentioned how much we love Chicago?!

In no particular order:

Indiana Sand Dunes
One Saturday morning while we were still in bed the thought occurred to me that we should probably venture out to Indiana to visit the Dunes. Within 30 minutes we were in the car with swimsuits on and towels in a bag. We drove just over an hour to reach the State Park to find the funniest sand dunes. The dunes were covered in trees, dirt, and shrubbery and you could only tell that you were on a sand dune because the trail was just sand. We went on a “strenuous” hike and ended up at a beach. The beach was packed and we found a spot where we could relax, read, and watch the waves roll into the sand. It was definitely a well spent Saturday as it is always nice to escape the city and it was a very interesting State Park that we could probably never find in the West. Next summer we hope to visit again with some friends in tow because we can easily envision some fun races of everyone running down a sand dune together.

Just walking through a forest on top of a sand dune.

 Not only were there so many people, but there were families at the beach.
It really was fun to lay out and then go climb a dune when feeling restless from not moving.

Farmer Markets
A typical Saturday consisted of us waking up and going exploring for the entire day. One Saturday we planned to go to the Farmer’s Market so rented bikes for our mode of transportation. Another Saturday we were just out walking around when we randomly came across another Farmer’s Market in the city. Both markets were great and filled with lots of cheese samples (Mr. Bluth’s favorite part) delicious looking fruits and vegetables, pastries, and many other unique items. I wish I had this much fun shopping when I go to the grocery store. For some reason, vegetables look so much better outside under a tent with hot and humid temperatures. We had some Saturday’s when we walked between 5-10 miles, so stopping for a doughnut at a market was almost always needed.



Oh how I love all the colors at Farmer's Markets!

Beach days
Yep. I needed lots of these after the horrible winter we were forced to endure. Reading and laying out on a beach just might be one of my top Saturday activities. It is pretty amazing having a beach about 1.5 miles away from our apartment. Sail boats may be my new obsession as there is nothing prettier than looking out into the water and seeing it spotted with sails. The vitamin D did us well and Mr. Bluth was even told that he looked like a cabana boy one evening due to the lavish color of his skin.
This picture was not taken on one of our beach days, but it does show that we almost always end up near the lake.

Concerts
From symphonies to dance fests, we were able to appreciate so much as Chicago brought us many cultural opportunities. Sitting underneath the sky listening to music while being surrounded by friends is a perfect way to end a day. We had a few feasts in the park as we gathered with others and we all brought too much food to share.
Husbands were invited and did attend this particular concert, but they did not care as much about a picture. Yeah for awesome girlfriends! … and husbands that will act as photographers and entertain each other while we talk and talk.

Pilates
Mr. Bluth should definitely win a prize for best husband. He even started coming with me to Pilates on Saturday morning in the park. The only downside is that he usually made me start laughing as he awkwardly tried to figure out the move or position. I did count it as an extra way to engage my core. Only once did I think he was bored as he laid on his back with his arms and legs spread out or maybe he was just focusing on his breathing. Don’t worry there are other men that come and some of this men take Pilates more seriously than me!
I missed him laying out on his back, but I was able to get this picture.
Utah
A trip to Utah took place to celebrate a beautiful wedding and to squeeze in as much family time as possible. Utah really is a beautiful place and always fun to visit. I am still trying to find a way to move those mountains to Chicago. Our days in Utah were just the way we like them: jam-packed with activities. Thankfully my parents brought my babies to me (nieces and nephew) and I almost started crying because they have grown up so much since I last saw them. I am completely bragging when I say that I have the cutest nephew and nieces and they have the funniest personalities. So glad that they are a part of our family!
This was at the very end of a very long, but wonderful day. 
Please all take a moment to laugh at Mr. Bluth and Pablo




Zoo + splash pad = happy children
Can't even begin to describe how much I love these three.
Okay the list could really keep going on to include food fests, game nights, suburban trips, etc. But I must simply just end by repeating what I already said and that is that we have had an incredible summer. The temperatures have not always allowed me to feel like we were in summer, but the freedom, the crazy schedules, and all the activities that have been just walking distance from us have made up for the lack of temperatures.

Oh, summer, you did nothing but treat us well.

No comments:

Post a Comment